FAQ: Frequent Asked Questions
Those who build walls are their own prisoners. I'm going to go fulfill my
proper function in the social organism. I'm going to unbuild walls.
-- Ursula K. Le Guin
The Transhackmeeting started with the will to bring together the Spanish
and Italian annual hackmeetings. The Transhackmeeting happened twice in
2004 and 2007. This new event, 11 years later, takes pride in this
filiation, and wants to gather hackers from across Europe in the central
ground of Tarnac, halfway between the Southern hacklabs and the Northern
During 2017 surged the idea to reactivate the Transhackmeeting and through various
gatherings and discussions in the hackmeetings and various European events
emerged the plan to meet in Tarnac.
During 2017 pop-up the idea to restore the event between different groups
and other european groups and we plan a meeting in Tarnac.
Mid-May we went to Tarnac to meet the people there and study the
feasability of making the event happen there. We were received like friends
and found a welcoming and ready collective to harbor the resurgence of the
subscribing to this list, and coming to the transhackmeeting you
are becoming part of the organization ;P
-- THK mailing list
Traditionally the Transhackmeeting is self-organized, which means that you,
as a participant, are part of the organization. The principal venue for THK
organization is the
- For the ones that develop techniques that are not meant to be.
- For everybody that questions their relation with technologies.
- For you that feel alien coming from Anarres to the current society.
- For anybody that has been confronted to the problem(s) of technology on the way of getting organised aside or against the current order.
- For those who are not confounding the vital need for techniques with the ever-expanding offer of technologies.
- For those who would never be satisfied with having foreseen the disaster...
- For witches, hackers, outsiders, the ghosts in the machines, ...
- For those who question capitalist disorder and create alternate socialities.
- For the living. For the non-conforming. For those who take sides.
- For our friends the persons we love and their digital freedom
- Because there is no technical solution to social and political problems, and because technologies are crucial to social and political transformation; this TransHackmeeting will federate our communities in resistance, in order to build a common understanding of the existing powers in place. Building from our forces we meet to share multiple singular technologies that emerge in context from our organizations.
- Because is more fun to talk in person than online.
- Because we want to bridge networks, exchange between people from a non-techinical background, people critical of technology, and analog hackers (people hacking plants/ vehicles / houses/ etc.)
- [PRE] 02-08 of August 2018 - pre-transhack: build up, share, organize
- [THK] 09-13 of August 2018 - TRANSHACKMEETING!
- [PST] 14-16 of August 2018 - post-transhack: assembly, tear down, say godbye
World > Europe > France > Tarnac
The closest train station is Bugeat, you can search for tickets at oui.sncf. We'll organize shuttles to pick people up from the station, but you should tell us in the mailing list so we know that we need to go for you.
MAPS: TARNAC GOUTAILLOUX
See full screen
- There will be food, but you need to be registered for it
- If you want you can help cooking and share your recepits
- The event is auto-organized, no hotels, you wash your stuff
- There will be an area for kids, so yes, you can bring your parents too!
- There will be an area for parents, so yes, you can bring your kids too!
- Don't bring your pets with you, it's a farm with animals.
- This is a farm, please respect all the creature around you
HOW IS THE EVENT FINANCED?
- Free entrance - Nobody is remunerated for their activity
- Free means also you can be feel free to offer what you have
- Freedom is partecipation, we don't force you to do stuff, but you are free to help!
HOW CAN I REGISTER?
Add yourself and register in the
wiki (user: anonima pass: aminona)
You can send an email to:
thk AT autistici DOT org
and if you want to participate and see updates you can register on the THK ML
WHAT TOPICS I WILL FIND AT THK?
- Autonomous Infrastructures (networks / servers / radio / ... )
- Relation to people who are immersed into middle-east censorship agressions.
- Borders / refugees
- Life embedded in technology
- BUGS in art history
- Infiltration is also a creative strategy that has been used in different contexts, as effective attacks in art history and contemporary hactivism.
- Digestion of situation and organisation of genealogies.
- Hacking is not only computers, is how you understand the world (medicinal plants, ...)
- Digital world and real world are not separated, not cybernetics way
- Question on what is autonomous infrastructures are
- How we relate to technology
- Decolonization of technologies, don't have it as buzz word but as a question to ask, can technology be anti colonial, and how does it look
- Don't nerd it too much
- References to Ursula k. Leguin (the Dispossessed)
- Mention that we want to do share from our readings and books experiences
Which language you talk?
This is a trans-cultural event, there will be different languages mixed all
together: English will be just one of them as Italian, Python, French, Ruby
Spanish and many others..
Will you translate the talks?
For translation, discussion have started with COATI collective from
Barcelona to have all the necessary devices for direct translations, we
will need voluntary translator, from/to different languages.
We are also looking at providing LSF / LSI translation when possible.